Lemon Meringue Pie
You know the feeling when you cook your first “grown up” dessert really well? For me, that was Lemon Meringue Pie. I was in tenth grade at school, taking hospitality class and had the assessment task of making a dessert. I was so nervous but thankfully things went my way and I think it was probably then that I began to truly appreciate my love of cooking desserts. This recipe is easy to follow, tastes amazing and let’s face it, leaves an impressive looking product. Enjoy!
Ingredients – Pastry Case
1 ½ cups (225g) of plain flour
3 teaspoons of icing sugar
140grams cold butter, chopped
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons water (approximately)
Ingredients – Filling
½ cup (75g) corn flour
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
½ cup (125mL) lemon juice
1 ¼ cups (310mL) water
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
3 egg yolks
Ingredients – Meringue
3 egg whites
½ cup (110g) caster sugar
- Sift flour and icing sugar into a medium bowl and rub in butter. Add yolk and enough water to the ingredients cling together. Press the dough into a ball and knead it gently on a floured surface until it is smooth: cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to moderately hot (2000C /1800C fan-forced). Lightly grease a 24cm flat tin or pie dish. Alternatively, you can line a 12 In the example I have included here, I lined a standard 12 cup muffin pan.
- Roll the dough on a floured surface until it is large enough to line the tin. Lift the pastry into the tin, easing into the sides. Be sure to trip the edges!
- Place the tin on the oven try, and line the pastry with baking paper because we are going to be baking blind! For those doing this for the first time, it simply means, adding a little weight to the paper so add some dried beans or uncooked rice onto the baking paper.
- Bake for ten minutes and the remove the paper, beans/rice before baking uncovered for a further 10 minutes or until the pastry case is lightly browned.
- Remove the pastry case and cool. Reduce the oven temperature to (1800C/1600C fan-forced).
- Combine the corn flour and sugar into a medium saucepan and gradually stir in the lemon juice and water.
- Stir over medium heat until the mixture boils and thickens (the mixture should be really thick). Don’t worry if it starts to smell a little funky. That’s normal.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring for 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat and quickly stir in the lemon rind, egg yolks and butter. Stir until smooth, cover and let it cool to room temperature.
- Beat the egg whites in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar (as in a small amount at a time or it essentially stops the meringue from becoming smooth and glossy) and beat it until it dissolves after each addition.
Once the filling and meringue is complete, spread the filling into the pastry case and top with meringue. Bake for 5 minutes or until the meringue is browned lightly. Stand aside for 5 minutes before serving.
All rights reserved © 2014 Kate Vista